留言反馈

中央文献重要术语译文发布(2015年第七期)

发布时间:2015年10月23日 | 字体放大 | 字体缩小

  编者说明:党的十八大以来,习近平总书记发表了一系列重要讲话、文章、访谈,形成了富有个性的话语风格。善于用典是其特点之一。习近平总书记经常运用古代典籍中的经典名句,说明当今人们生活实践中的重大问题,不断激活中华民族优秀传统文化基因,赋予其鲜明的时代内涵。本期术语发布围绕中国梦主题,挑选了习近平总书记在阐述中国梦时引用过的16条经典名句。这些名句富有说服力和感染力,体现了中国梦的丰富文化内涵和深厚传统积淀。译文努力平衡好经典名句的原义与特定语境中的意译之间的关系。这些名句均选自《习近平关于实现中华民族伟大复兴的中国梦论述摘编》一书。该书已由我局翻译成英、俄、法、西、日、阿等6种文字并出版。

【中文-英文】

中文

英文

苟日新,日日新,又日新

If you can improve yourself in a day, do so each day, forever building on improvement.

千里之行,始于足下

A journey of a thousand li begins with a single step.

政贵有恒

Consistency is valuable in governance.

功崇惟志,业广惟勤

Great accomplishments require ambition and tireless effort.

鞠躬尽瘁,死而后已

I will work heart and soul for my country to the day I draw my last breath.

兄弟齐心,其利断金

When brothers come together, there is nothing they cannot achieve.

君子一言,驷马难追

A word spoken is a word that must be honored.

和而不同

【例】中国自古就主张和而不同。我们希望,国与国之间、不同文明之间能够平等交流、相互借鉴、共同进步,各国人民都能够共享世界经济科技发展的成果,各国人民的意愿能够得到尊重,各国能够齐心协力推动建设持久和平、共同繁荣的和谐世界。

harmony in diversity

China has, since ancient times, been an exponent of harmony in diversity. We hope that different countries and different civilizations will engage in exchange on an equal basis, learn from each other, and achieve common progress. We hope that the people of all countries will share in the fruits of global economic, scientific, and technological advances and that their aspirations are respected. We also hope that all countries will work together in building a harmonious world where peace is lasting and prosperity is shared by all.

得其大者可以兼其小

【例】“得其大者可以兼其小。”只有把人生理想融入国家和民族的事业中,才能最终成就一番事业。

The finer details fall into place when they align with the bigger picture.

The finer details fall into place when they align with the bigger picture. You will accomplish something significant in life if you integrate your ambitions into the cause of your country and its people.

行百里者半九十

【例】行百里者半九十。距离实现中华民族伟大复兴的目标越近,我们越不能懈怠,越要加倍努力,越要动员广大青年为之奋斗。

On reaching the last leg of a journey, you are only half way there.

On reaching the last leg of a journey, you are only half way there. The closer we are to our goal of rejuvenating the Chinese nation, the less we can afford to slack off, the more we need to intensify our efforts, and the more we need to encourage young people to work toward this goal.

位卑未敢忘忧国

Whatever my status, I will never lay aside my concern for the nation.

富贵不能淫,贫贱不能移,威武不能屈

never be corrupted by wealth or status, depart from principle due to poverty or humble position, or bow down to power or force

先天下之忧而忧,后天下之乐而乐

I wish to be the first to worry about the nation’s woes and the last to share in its prosperity.

苟利国家生死以,

岂因祸福避趋之

Were it to benefit my country I would lay down my life;

What then is risk to me?

人生自古谁无死,

留取丹心照汗青

Everyone will one day die;

When my day comes, may my loyalty be inscribed in the pages of history.

长风破浪会有时,

直挂云帆济沧海

Someday, with my sail piercing the clouds;

I will mount the wind, break the waves, and traverse the vast, rolling sea.

分享到: